Lee Thomas is the Federal Secretary of the ANMF and her priority is to ensure that the voices of nurses, midwives, and assistants in nursing are heard. Improving the lives of all those in the nursing and midwifery family is paramount to Lee, through advocacy and involving all members in strong ANMF campaigns such as:
- Healthcare Emergency
- Australia's Nurses and Midwives, you couldn’t be in better hands
- Because We Care, quality care for older Australians
- Assistants in Nursing, join the ANMF nursing and midwifery family
Lee wants to see all 240,000 members become involved in ANMF federal and state based campaigns, to be a part of improving their working lives and conditions, and improving healthcare delivery and ensuring safe patient care for all Australians.
Prior to becoming ANMF Federal Secretary, Lee held the position of Assistant Federal Secretary and Branch Secretary of the ANMF (SA Branch). In the role of SA Branch Secretary, Lee achieved significant membership growth, and enterprise bargaining across all sectors of nursing and midwifery.
Lee commenced her nursing career as a personal care attendant in aged care, and completed her General Nurse education at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Adelaide and subsequently her Midwifery education at the Queen Victoria Hospital in 1987. Lee also holds a Bachelor of Nursing and a neonatology certificate, is a registered midwife and is currently enrolled in a law degree.
Lee holds positions on:
- ACTU Executive
- Deputy Chair Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council
- Board member Pacific region, Commonwealth Federation of Nurses
- Secretariat and founding Sponsor National Aged Care Alliance
- Member, Professions Reference Group, AHPRA